Agriculture is the backbone of America. But even agriculture must be held together by an even
smaller backbone: the textile industry. Farmers across the country use textiles on an every day basis to keep their agricultural operations growing strong. Do you know what agricultural textile qualities your fabrics need? Commercial Bag and Supply is proud to serve this industry with custom and wholesale orders of woven polypropylene and burlap.
Why does the agricultural industry need textiles?
Whether it’s woven polypropylene or burlap, your chosen agricultural textile must have certain qualities to keep your farm running strong.
Agricultural Textile Qualities
- Ability to withstand solar and ultraviolet radiation. Many textiles are installed right after planting or sowing, so the fabric needs to be able to withstand solar radiation of the varying surrounding temperatures. Polypropylene is one textile that’s known for withstanding UV radiation so your plants are protected from harmful light exposure.
- Is it biodegradable? Burlap is an excellent choice if your agricultural operation requires a biodegradable fabric.
- Protect from critters. The last thing you want after spending all season planting is to find that stray animals have found your bounty and eaten through what you thought was a protecting fabric covering. When purchasing textiles for agricultural use, make sure it is abrasion resistant.
- Water absorbent: depending on where and what you’re covering with textiles, you’ll want to check the absorbent ratings of your fabric. Non-woven materials provide a mass per unit area of 15-60 g/㎡ and materials used on embankments or slopes can provide between 100 and 500 g/㎡.
- Protection from the elements – that seems like an easy one. What’s worse than an agricultural textile that doesn’t do its job? Your textile should aid in creating a micro-climate that balances the temperature and humidity. Your chosen fabric should also be resistant to any microorganisms that might harm your crops.